VISIT CHELAN COUNTY
TITLE: Executive Director (ED)
REPORTS TO: Visit Chelan County Board of Directors (VCCBD)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 26, 2022
- Salary: $75,000 – $95,000 DOE
- Paid vacation
- All National holidays
- Mileage reimbursement
The county’s lodging tax is used to market Chelan County, and to fund events, festivals, and partner organizations to help drive the number of visitors to the different businesses and services throughout the county.
The Executive Director of Visit Chelan County (VCC) is the Chief Executive Officer of the organization. This position is responsible for spearheading strategic initiatives including planning, coordination and management of Chelan County tourism promotions, integrating marketing, public relations and a strategic communications program.
In addition, the ED will create and communicate Visit Chelan County’s messages and ensure an overall continuity of the brand and image. The ED will also focus on the continued development of the County’s tourism, while promoting economic development, historic preservation, sustainability and quality of life.
BACKGROUND & KNOWLEDGE:
- Solid marketing and/or management experience; outstanding written and verbal skills coupled with the ability to influence others in a positive manner while accurately presenting VCC’s position on a variety of issues.
- A strong understanding of the diverse institutions (private, public and governmental), that affect the tour and travel community.
- A track record of leadership in the community through involvement and participation in various related organizations; the ability to speak effectively before the VCCBD, governmental agencies and business and civic organizations is a critical skill.
- The ability to travel around the county and to trade events.
- Academic credentials that indicate the candidate is well educated and trained to think and communicate effectively (the minimum of a bachelor’s degree is expected).
- Five years of management experience and two years of volunteer supervision experience required.
- A minimum of five years of experience in marketing or tourism management related field.
- Working knowledge of technology especially website and social media data collection, maintenance and development.
- Demonstrated understanding of accounting and presentation software.
- The ability to build relationships and work with staff, volunteers and community leaders.
- Knowledge of Chelan County communities and assets.
- Must be hard working, self-directed and demonstrate strong problem solving and communication skills.
- Able to handle multiple tasks at one time and organize projects/programs in an effective and efficient manner as well as write and edit copy for various chamber publications, promotional materials and correspondence.
- Must be able to present a positive and professional attitude.
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to work with VCCBD and others.
- Use strong communication skills to effectively disseminate priorities.
MANAGEMENT AND PLANNING
- In conjunction with the VCCBD, create and oversee the annual business plan and operating budget.
- Manage contracts with vendors.
- Provide full reporting and evaluation of annual plan’s progress including quantifiable measurements.
- Oversee management and monthly reporting of annual operating budget and organizational financial planning.
- Provide support to VCCBD in areas of recruitment, orientation and training as requested.
- Hiring, supervision and evaluation of all contracted VCC staff.
- Oversee development and maintenance of all office technology, equipment and facilities.
- Act as spokesperson for the organization and represent the organization in all business relationships.
- Execute VCCBD approved policies.
- Direct and oversee short and long-term strategic plans.
- Gather and communicate competitive intelligence and industry trends.
- Maintain official records and documents, ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
- Keep the VCCBD informed by doing quarterly dashboard updates.
- Maintain historical files of all activities.
- Build a culture that can grow by attracting additional talent committed to the mission of the organization.
- Prepare an annual report with financials, programs and accomplishments.
- Research, write and receive grants for local tourism-related projects.
- Maintain productive network of public and private funding sources.
- Increase tourism infrastructure and efficiencies by working with local chambers and other destination marketing entities.
- Connect with Chelan Douglas Regional Port Authority, Chelan County, City and State on economic development partnership opportunities.
PROMOTION & MEDIA MANAGEMENT
- Represent Chelan County with the Washington State Destination Marketing Organization (WSDMO), Washington Tourism Alliance (WTA), Trails and Lakes region of WTA, and similar organizations.
- Write and review press releases and advertising campaigns for key markets.
- Host and develop relationships with vetted travel writers, bloggers and social media influencers.
- Develop and maintain photo, video and other marketing assets.
- Research marketing trends and develop strategies to keep ahead of trends.
- Establish and grow a sales and marketing program to promote Chelan County as a destination for overnight stays.
- Promote county businesses as tourist, meeting and event destination.
- Develop and consistently evaluate marketing efforts, including internet, print, TV and radio ads.
- Attend meetings, seminars and trade shows relevant to the tourism industry.
- Develop and conduct familiarization tour for media, tour operators and travel agents.
- Ensure that the website and all social media platforms are current.
- Implement cooperative advertising programs integrating all county entities involved in tourism including restaurants, attractions, merchants, art groups, museums, economic development agencies, city and town associations.
- Establish productive relationships with city, county, state and federal legislators that will serve to benefit the Chelan County tourism.
- Maintain communications with local media to promote information and viewpoints among local community.
- Represent Chelan County tourism at community meetings and functions.
- Ensure accurate and complete financial and accounting records are maintained.
- Ensure operating expenses are within budget.
- Work with VCCBD to prepare annual budget and report.
- Implement financial controls.
Send your resume and cover letter to:
Tiffany Gering, Chelan County Commissioner, VCC Chair